Boilermaker Press Award Given To Robinson
(Jun. 24, 2011)
June 24, 2011 (Utica N.Y.)- The Boilermaker Road Race is pleased to announce the awarding of The Les Diven Media Award to Roger Robinson, a senior writer for Running Times.
Les Diven was a local sport writer whose career spanned four decades. The award given in Les's name to a writer who has given exceptional coverage to the race and its connection to the community.
"Last year Roger wrote a post-race article centering on the symbiotic relation between the Boilermaker Road Race and the City of Utica", said Tim Reed, executive director of the Boilermaker. "He simply nailed it."
A respected scholar and speaker, Robinson, is a Cambridge Emeritus professor for Victoria University of Wellington; and a celebrated runner in his own right, setting records at the Boston and New York marathons, and representing England and New Zealand in the world cross-country championships. He is also a renowned author. His first book about running, Heroes and Sparrows: a Celebration of Running, is being reissued this year.
"I first came to Utica to run the Boilermaker as an invited athlete in the 1980s, and have returned every year to cover that wonderful race as a journalist" said Robinson. "I came from New Zealand, but have always felt welcomed here, and have made many true friends. So this means much more than a journalism award - it's feels like a sign that I belong now in the Utica community, and have made a contribution to it. Thank you."
Roger will formally be presented the Diven Award Thursday, July 7th, at the Sponsor/ Committee Reception to be held at the Masonic Care Community; host of the Boilermaker Expo.
#####View Recent Press
- Boilermaker Charity Bib Reception Set for Tomorrow
- Boilermaker Youth Olympics Rescheduled Again
- Boilermaker Committee Run Sunday View More
- UFD Wins Boilermaker Police and Firefighter Competition Again
- 2017 Boilermaker Winners
- Boilermaker Square Committee to Install Memorial Bricks Tomorrow View More
- Registration Information
- MVCC and The Boilermaker celebrate latest renovation of College's Utica campus walking track
- 2016 Sitrin Wheelchair Challenge Winner Receives Racing Wheelchair
- West Utica OktoberFarmFest Announced
- Boilermaker Charity Bib Total Hits New Heights
- Excellus Confers Corporate Cup Awards
- Griffo Secures $50,000 for Boilermaker Road Race
- Boilermaker Previews 2015 Charity Bib Program
- Boilermaker Brings Back Boolermaker
- Boilermaker Announces 2014 Charity Bib Program
- Boilermaker Signs Contract to Sell Building, Plans Relocation to West Utica
- 2014 Boilermaker Logo Unveiled