Running Greats Switzer and Robinson Return as Boilermaker Highlights
(Jul. 5, 2012)
July 5, 2012 (Utica, NY) – In one of running's most important years, legendary athletes Kathrine Switzer, the first woman to officially enter and run the Boston Marathon and Roger Robinson, author and Boston and New York City Marathon record-setter, will be highlighted celebrities of the Boilermaker expo and race.
Switzer and Robinson will be at the expo signing autographs and books on Friday and Saturday, and will be part of the Runners Forum panel at 2:45PM Saturday. On Sunday, both are the expert race commentators for WIBX Radio's live coverage of the Boilermaker 15K. (Times and locations noted below).
"This year is the 40th anniversary of women's being 'allowed' to run on the roads, of the first women's road race, and of Title IX," commented Boilermaker Public Relations Director Mary MacEnroe. "Kathrine Switzer was in the forefront of those movements. There is a big reason Kathrine was an inaugural inductee into the National Distance Running Hall of Fame; she continues to change the world and inspires us. She appears globally as an authority on the sport was even on the CBS Evening News last week!" http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57457365/marathon-pioneer-kathrine-switzer-looks-back-on-title-ix/?tag=mncol;lst;1
"In addition to the 40th anniversary of women's advances in running, we also are reminded that this is an Olympic year, and we are thrilled on the eve of the Olympic Games to have Roger Robinson, the world's leading historian and visionary of the sport with us," said Mark Wolber, convener of the Runners Forum.
After enjoying a 30-year dual-career as a world-class runner (including setting master's records in both the New York City and Boston Marathons and the Boilermaker 15K) and a professor or English Literature, Robinson is now a popular columnist with Running Times Magazine. "Roger Robinson is the most engaging and articulate voice in the sport today," continued Wolber. "When he speaks, our audiences are riveted, and his 'Roger on Running' and 'Footsteps' columns in Running Times are always compelling reading." One of his Running Times web columns was cited by Boilermaker CEO Tim Reed in announcing Robinson as the winner of last year's Les Diven Journalism Award. www.runningtimes.com "Roger on Running" – "Putting Utica on the Map."
Both Robinson and Switzer are popular authors. Switzer's books include her award-winning memoir Marathon Woman; Robinson's include Heroes and Sparrows, a Celebration of Running, Running in Literature and together they wrote 26.2 Marathon Stories, which Runners World cited as "One of the best five running books ever." They both also are award-winning TV and radio commentators. "Roger and Kathrine's contribution to the live stride- for- stride Boilermaker commentary for WIBX radio on Sunday is a 'must-listen'!" said MacEnroe.
Switzer and Robinson Boilermaker Schedule
(Times are approximate)
Friday: July 6:
Expo: At Distance Running Hall of Fame booth, 3:30-7 PM; Jorgensen Athletic and Event Center, Mohawk Valley Community College (MVCC) 1101 Sherman Drive, Utica, NY 13501
Volunteer Party: 7-9PM
Saturday: July 7:
Kids' Run: 8:15 AM; MVCC
Expo, all locations at MVCC near each other: Distance Running Hall of Fame booth 11AM-1PM; Hall of Fame Induction in the Theatre located in the Information Technology Building. 1-2:30PM; Runners Forum, same location, 2:45-4:00 followed by books signings until 5 PM
Sunday, July 8:
WIBX Radio 950 AM; Broadcast: Show begins at 7AM, race start is at 8AM
- Kernan Elementary Students Decorate Boilermaker Windows for Holidays
- Boilermaker President Named Race Director of the Year
- Boilermaker Road Race Announces New Hire View More
- Registration Information
- MVCC and The Boilermaker celebrate latest renovation of College's Utica campus walking track
- 2016 Sitrin Wheelchair Challenge Winner Receives Racing Wheelchair View More
- West Utica OktoberFarmFest Announced
- Boilermaker Charity Bib Total Hits New Heights
- Excellus Confers Corporate Cup Awards
- Griffo Secures $50,000 for Boilermaker Road Race
- Boilermaker Previews 2015 Charity Bib Program
- Boilermaker Brings Back Boolermaker
- Boilermaker Announces 2014 Charity Bib Program
- Boilermaker Signs Contract to Sell Building, Plans Relocation to West Utica
- 2014 Boilermaker Logo Unveiled
- Boilermaker to Launch Charity Bib Program
- Three Mile Walk Moves to Masonic
- Boilermaker Reveals Field Totals & Logo for 2013 Race
- New Hartford Captures Boilermaker School Team Award
- 2012 Race Cap and Boilermaker Logo Revealed
- Boilermaker Wheelchaiir Challengers Presented with New Racing Chairs