Soldiers Complete Shadow Run
(Jul. 26, 2012)
Utica, N.Y. (July 26, 2012) - For the fifth time in Boilermaker history American troops stationed overseas have conducted a 'shadow run' in honor of the Boilermaker Road Race. Members of the 2nd Battalion of the 108th Infantry based out of the Parkway Armory in Utica participated.
The Boilermaker sent supplies to the American forces to support the event.
While planning on running the race on Boilermaker Sunday, July 8th, due to emergency military operations the race was postponed until July 20th.
Weather in Western Afghanistan typically experiences over 100 degree temperatures and wind gusts in excess of 40 to 50 miles per hour.
The winning time for the 15k was 64 minutes.
"I am glad at what people felt from us brining the event here" said Afghan race director 1st Lieutenant Jeffry Ruso. "They felt a little piece of home, and a whole lot of pain."
When the troops return in the Fall they will be bringing back the Finish Line banner sent by the Boilermaker signed by all the participants. There will be an event to celebrate their return.
"It was a pleasure to in some small way supporting our hometown heroes" said executive director Tim Reed. "It will be a bigger pleasure to welcome them home."
- Boilermaker Charity Bib Reception Set for Tomorrow
- Boilermaker Youth Olympics Rescheduled Again
- Boilermaker Committee Run Sunday View More
- UFD Wins Boilermaker Police and Firefighter Competition Again
- 2017 Boilermaker Winners
- Boilermaker Square Committee to Install Memorial Bricks Tomorrow View More
- Registration Information
- MVCC and The Boilermaker celebrate latest renovation of College's Utica campus walking track
- 2016 Sitrin Wheelchair Challenge Winner Receives Racing Wheelchair
- West Utica OktoberFarmFest Announced
- Boilermaker Charity Bib Total Hits New Heights
- Excellus Confers Corporate Cup Awards
- Griffo Secures $50,000 for Boilermaker Road Race
- Boilermaker Previews 2015 Charity Bib Program
- Boilermaker Brings Back Boolermaker
- Boilermaker Announces 2014 Charity Bib Program
- Boilermaker Signs Contract to Sell Building, Plans Relocation to West Utica
- 2014 Boilermaker Logo Unveiled