2010 Bob Ingalls Police and Fire Competition
(Jul. 28, 2010)
UTICA, NY (July 28, 2010)- In 2003 after attending the New York City Marathon, then Boilermaker Executive Director Bob Ingalls was inspired to create a competition that recognized our area's community protectors. Bob took two of his life's passions, his love for running and physical fitness, and his career with the Sheriff's Department to commence the annual Police and Fire Competition.
"It is perfect," Judy Ingalls said at this year's award ceremony, held Tuesday at the Brewery. "Bob and I talked about this event, which he was the brains behind. Bob loved competition and he wanted to get our service men and women more actively involved in the race and it worked."
This was the sixth year the Boilermaker Road Race featured the Police and Fire Competition which was renamed in 2009 to the Bob Ingalls Police and Fire Competition in honor of its late founder. Both the Utica police and fire departments enter a team into the race, which this year consisted of 15 members from each department. The department with the five fastest Boilermaker 15K runners receives a traveling trophy and more importantly, bragging rights. This year the competition was won by the Fire Department who reclaimed the trophy from the Police Department which had captured it last year.
"There is a lot of friendly needling going on between the guys who participate in the competition," the competition's Coordinator Frank Simonelli said. "They get a big kick out of it. It is a great competition and we hope it continues for years to come."View Recent Press
- Boilermaker President Steps Down, Search for Successor Under Way
- Boilermaker Urban Initiative Press Opportunities
- Boilermaker Charity Bib Reception Set for Tomorrow
- The Stanley to Host Roast and Toast of Boilermaker President Tim Reed
- Boilermaker Presents Check to United Way
- UFD Wins Boilermaker Police and Firefighter Competition Again
- Registration Information
- MVCC and The Boilermaker celebrate latest renovation of College's Utica campus walking track
- 2016 Sitrin Wheelchair Challenge Winner Receives Racing Wheelchair View More