Boilermaker Running Gear Ships out to Afghanistan
(Jun. 15, 2012)
June 15, 2012 (Utica, NY) - Material necessary to conduct a road race was boxed up and shipped out to support a Boilermaker 'shadow run' in Afghanistan.
The initial request to conduct the race was by 1st Lieutenant Jeff Ruso of the 108th Infantry (National Guard) based out of the Parkway Armory in Utica. The 108th is currently deployed in western Afghanistan.
In addition to U.S. Armed Forces, members of the Italian and Afghan military will participate in this years run. It is expected that approximately one hundred and fifty soldiers will participate in the run. Afghanistan's time zone is eight and a half hours ahead of Utica. "Even though we may not be as fast as the elite athletes we'll finish much sooner than they will" said Lieutenant Ruso.
A specially designed camouflage tee shirt celebrating this year's run will be provided to all of the anticipated one hundred fifty military runners. A like number of these tee shirts available for $25 at the Boilermaker Expo to be held at MVCC July 6th and 7th.
A portion of the proceeds will go to The Central New York Veterans Outreach Center which was formulated by Vincent Scalise who is in Afghanistan with the 108th. "How fitting that we support an organization that was created by a soldier who is in the unit we are supporting today" said Tim Reed, Executive Director of the Boilermaker. Seifert Graphics produced the Start/ Finish line banner gratis, and Mohawk Global Logistics will be transporting the material for free.
"It's an honor to move this shipment of race gear for the Boilermaker in Afghanistan. This is the ideal cause to support; a way to say thank you, we are with you." said Gar Grannell, President and CEO of Mohawk Global Logistics.
This will be the fifth shadow run the Boilermaker has supported. Previously, there have been three runs in Iraq and one in Afghanistan.
The 35th running of the Boilermaker Road Race will take place Sunday, July 8th.
- Boilermaker President Steps Down, Search for Successor Under Way
- Boilermaker Urban Initiative Press Opportunities
- Boilermaker Charity Bib Reception Set for Tomorrow
- The Stanley to Host Roast and Toast of Boilermaker President Tim Reed
- Boilermaker Presents Check to United Way
- UFD Wins Boilermaker Police and Firefighter Competition Again
- Registration Information
- MVCC and The Boilermaker celebrate latest renovation of College's Utica campus walking track
- 2016 Sitrin Wheelchair Challenge Winner Receives Racing Wheelchair View More