Kelly Captures Diven Award
(Jun. 18, 2012)
June 18, 2012 (Utica, NY) – Joe Kelly has been selected by the Boilermaker Road Race to receive the prestigious Les Diven Award. The Diven award is given to the journalist who best emphasizes the spirit of the Boilermaker. Past recipients include John Pitarresi, Jason Powles, and Roger Robinson.
Joe Kelly worked at the Observer-Dispatch and the Utica Daily Press for 20 years, first as a reporter, then as a columnist, the first full time columnist in the newspaper's history. For many years he wrote a running column for the O-D, a column which provided extensive coverage of the Boilermaker and the people involved.
Joe is now the editor and publisher of the Boonville Herald & Adirondack Tourist in Boonville, N.Y. and writes a weekly column for the newspaper. He also hosts "The Joe Kelly Show," broadcast weekly on WUTR-TV. He also hosts a variety of special programs at WUTR, including race day coverage of the Boilermaker.
Joe has served as the Boilermaker's assistant race director and as vice president of the Boilermaker's board of directors. He was one of the founders of the National Distance Running Hall of Fame and served as its first director.
"It's always great to get an award, but getting the Les Diven Award is very special to me for three reasons. First off, I had the pleasure of working with Les for many years at the Utica Daily Press and Observer-Dispatch. He was a great reporter and worked hard to give local athletes the recognition they deserved. The second reason is that I know and have worked with many of the people who have gotten this award before me. They are an incredible group and to be in their company is quite the honor. And third, the Boilermaker is an event that I love, an event that has shaped my life."
Mr. Kelly will be formally presented the award at the final Boilermaker Committee Meeting to be held at ECR International on June 21st.
- Boilermaker President Steps Down, Search for Successor Under Way
- Boilermaker Urban Initiative Press Opportunities
- Boilermaker Charity Bib Reception Set for Tomorrow
- The Stanley to Host Roast and Toast of Boilermaker President Tim Reed
- Boilermaker Presents Check to United Way
- UFD Wins Boilermaker Police and Firefighter Competition Again
- Registration Information
- MVCC and The Boilermaker celebrate latest renovation of College's Utica campus walking track
- 2016 Sitrin Wheelchair Challenge Winner Receives Racing Wheelchair View More