Griffo Secures $50,000 for Boilermaker Road Race
(Dec. 17, 2014)
State Senator Joseph A. Griffo today visited Boilermaker headquarters to announce he has secured $50,000 in state funds to make energy efficient upgrades at the organization's Court Street building.
The Boilermaker Road Race Inc., which organizes the county's most popular 15 kilometer running competition, purchased the former R.J. Nudo Building in April. The building dates back to 1880 – and many of its windows are at least 50 years old. The organization intends to use the entire $50,000 to defray the cost of replacing 46 windows.
"We recognize that a healthy environment is vital to a healthy lifestyle, so we try to go 'green' wherever possible," said Tim Reed, president of the Boilermaker. "We thank Senator Griffo for securing these funds so that we can put that philosophy into practice and make this old building consume less energy than it is right now. These renovations are also necessary if, in the future, we expand our organization and make use of the third floor."
"The Boilermaker is one of our region's signature events, attracting 17,000 competitors to downtown Utica," said Griffo, R-Rome. "It is a great weekend for family, for fitness and for fun. I'm pleased to help in the way that I can to ensure that the Boilermaker organization can use its resources more efficiently and continue to put on such a wonderful event."
The Boilermaker Weekend will be held July 11-12, 2015. It includes a kids' run, 3 mile walk, wheelchair race, 5 kilometer road race and the weekend's premier event, the 15 kilometer road race. For more information, visit boilermaker.com or call 797-5838.
The state Dormitory Authority is the administrator of the funds secured by Senator Griffo.
Original Source: www.nysenate.govView Recent Press
- Boilermaker President Steps Down, Search for Successor Under Way
- Boilermaker Urban Initiative Press Opportunities
- Boilermaker Charity Bib Reception Set for Tomorrow
- The Stanley to Host Roast and Toast of Boilermaker President Tim Reed
- Boilermaker Presents Check to United Way
- UFD Wins Boilermaker Police and Firefighter Competition Again
- Registration Information
- MVCC and The Boilermaker celebrate latest renovation of College's Utica campus walking track
- 2016 Sitrin Wheelchair Challenge Winner Receives Racing Wheelchair View More