Boilermaker names 2016 Volunteer of the Year
(Jun. 21, 2016)
At the final Boilermaker Committee meeting, with family and fellow volunteers looking on, Bob Malinowski was awarded the "Coach D" Volunteer of the Year Award.
Malinowski has been volunteering at the Boilermaker since 1995 when he assisted at the starting line. In 2010 he became hydration manager, responsible for coordinating and managing all 21 water stations along the race route and their 1,460 volunteers.
"I'm proud to be involved with the Boilermaker," he said. "I like the people that organize the race and the people that I work with. I look at them as friends. Helping friends is not volunteering, it's helping friends get something done."
The Volunteer of the Year award, which was established in 1989, is named for Peter DeStefano also known as "Coach D". DeStefano, the late Utica Schools coach and athletic director, who was a longtime volunteer on the Boilermaker chute crew and known for his unflagging determination.
"I can't thank Bob enough for his hard work and dedication," said Tim Reed, president of the Boilermaker. "He epitomizes what volunteerism is all about. Providing water to the Boilermaker runners is the most important job we have as no water, no race."
The 39th running of the Boilermaker Road Race will take place on Sunday July 10, 2016 in Utica, New York.View Recent Press
- Boilermaker President Steps Down, Search for Successor Under Way
- Boilermaker Urban Initiative Press Opportunities
- Boilermaker Charity Bib Reception Set for Tomorrow
- The Stanley to Host Roast and Toast of Boilermaker President Tim Reed
- Boilermaker Presents Check to United Way
- UFD Wins Boilermaker Police and Firefighter Competition Again
- Registration Information
- MVCC and The Boilermaker celebrate latest renovation of College's Utica campus walking track
- 2016 Sitrin Wheelchair Challenge Winner Receives Racing Wheelchair View More