Boilermaker Post Race Party Travels Back 40 Years With a 70's Disco Diva and a Salute to Utica's Local Music Scene
(May. 18, 2017)
The music lineup for this year's Boilermaker Post Race Party was announced on Wednesday and it features a local all-star band, along with legendary disco diva, Maxine Nightingale. Nightingale was best known for her platinum certified record and #1 hit, Right Back Where We Started From, released in the U.S. in 1976. The line-up will also include an all-star group of local musicians fronted by the regional party band, Showtime, featuring members from Gridley Page, Classified and others.
"It's our 40th race and we thought it was important to do something special this year to celebrate," said Boilermaker President Tim Reed. "What better way to do it than with a national artist who was a hit-maker at the very time the Boilermaker was created back in 1978." Reed also said it was essential to showcase local musicians. "Our focus is always celebrating the great things we have that are homegrown, so sticking with the great music we have right here in our own back yard was an easy decision."
Nightingale will perform a 30-minute set featuring her popular hits along with some of the biggest 'party songs' that were being played on the radio during the summer of 1978 as the Boilermaker kicked off its inaugural run. Showtime and their all-star local legends band will perform before and after Nightingale's set.
The music line-up for the Boilermaker 40 is sponsored by the Observer Dispatch, which is celebrating 200 years of service to the Utica area this year, in cooperation with WIBX 950 AM, which recently celebrated its 90th anniversary.
The 40th running of the Boilermaker Road Race will take place on Sunday, July 9th, 2017.View Recent Press
- Boilermaker President Steps Down, Search for Successor Under Way
- Boilermaker Urban Initiative Press Opportunities
- Boilermaker Charity Bib Reception Set for Tomorrow
- The Stanley to Host Roast and Toast of Boilermaker President Tim Reed
- Boilermaker Presents Check to United Way
- UFD Wins Boilermaker Police and Firefighter Competition Again
- Registration Information
- MVCC and The Boilermaker celebrate latest renovation of College's Utica campus walking track
- 2016 Sitrin Wheelchair Challenge Winner Receives Racing Wheelchair View More