Boilermaker Offering Over $100,000 in Prize Money in 2017
(Jun. 9, 2017)
June 9, 2017 (Utica, NY) The Boilermaker Road Race will introduce some major overhauls to its prize money structure for the race's 40th running in 2017. In total, the Boilermaker is now offering over $100,000 in potential prize money to elite athletes.
One of the divisions that saw a major increase was American division. Previously, prize money earmarked for elite American runners was $3,250 for female and male open divisions respectively, for a total of $6,500. This year, the race has increased the purse for American runners to $14,500; $7,250 for male and female open divisions. The race has also made an adjustment to the qualifier for American prize money. Previously, American runners had to finish in the top 20 of their gender to qualify for prize money. This qualifier has been increased to the top 25. These changes combine to make the Boilermaker a much more attractive destination for America's elite distance runners. The Boilermaker has not seen an American winner since Ed Eyestone took the top spot in 1991.
"We believe the new structure will go a long way in attracting upper-echelon American runners to our race," said Race Director, Jim Stasaitis. "As one of the country's premier road races, the Boilermaker takes very seriously its obligation to support American distance running."
Additionally, prize money for the popular wheelchair division has more than doubled to $37,600. The purse for men's and women's open divisions will remain at $40,500 while $10,100 will continue to be allotted for the men's and women's masters divisions.
Athletes who would like to be considered an invited runner to this year's Boilermaker should contact Dick Mattia, Elite Runner Director at email@example.com.View Recent Press
- Boilermaker President Steps Down, Search for Successor Under Way
- Boilermaker Urban Initiative Press Opportunities
- Boilermaker Charity Bib Reception Set for Tomorrow
- The Stanley to Host Roast and Toast of Boilermaker President Tim Reed
- Boilermaker Presents Check to United Way
- UFD Wins Boilermaker Police and Firefighter Competition Again
- Registration Information
- MVCC and The Boilermaker celebrate latest renovation of College's Utica campus walking track
- 2016 Sitrin Wheelchair Challenge Winner Receives Racing Wheelchair View More