Home » Race Updates
In an effort to deliver important information to Boilermaker Nation we have temporarily narrowed the navigation of our website to only this Race Updates page.
LAST UPDATED: June 30, 2020
As announced on June 16th, due to safety concerns related to COVID-19, the 2020 Boilermaker has been converted to a virtual event. All registered participants were notified multiple times via the email addresses associated with their RunSignUp accounts of the transition, what their options were and their deadline for making a decision which was June 30th.
As of now, all standard registration rules are back in effect going forward.
The Boilermaker organization is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit that relies on the 15K & 5K events for its funding. The inability to host the traditional Boilermaker severely impacts the financial health of the organization and its ability to stage traditional Boilermakers in the years to come. With that in mind, we are asking that, if you are able, please consider participating in this virtual event to help secure the Boilermaker's future.
The Boilermaker appreciates the support, understanding and patience from each one of you as we've navigated through this unprecedented global challenge. Please see below for the answers to some frequently asked questions surrounding the transition of this year's Boilermaker Road Race to a virtual event.
- When will the 2020 Virtual Boilermaker take place?
- See more about the 2020 Virtual Boilermaker beginning with #7 below.
- I am already registered and plan to participate in the 2020 Virtual Boilermaker, what do I need to do?
Nothing. Those who were already registered to participate in the 2020 Boilermaker will remain as registered participants entered in the 2020 Virtual Boilermaker.
- What if I chose the Refund, Rollover or Donate option and now want to participate in the 2020 Virtual Boilermaker? See options below which vary based on the decision made.
- If I chose to receive a refund during the special decision window, when will I receive it?
The Boilermaker will process all requested refunds, minus a nominal processing fee charged by the registration platform, on July 1st. The speed at which funds will be returned may vary depending on your financial institution. If you do not see your refund reflected on your statement by 7/15/20, please contact email@example.com and be sure to include your first name, last name and a phone number.
- Can I defer my current registration to next year?
- Standard race rules for deferrals now apply.
- Deferrals requests must be made by 11:59pm (EST) on Wednesday, August 26, 2020
- I'm not currently registered, but want to participate in the 2020 Virtual Boilermaker, what do I need to do?
- Pricing is as follows and will remain in place until each race caps out:
- 15K presented by Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield > $60 (race cap = 14,500)
- 5K presented by Utica National > $50 (race cap = 4,500)
- What do I need to know about the 2020 Virtual Boilermaker?
- The following programs will be a part of the 2020 Virtual Boilermaker
- Wheelchair division sponsored by Sitrin Healthcare and NBT Bank
- Corporate Cup Challenge sponsored by Excellus BlueCross BlueShield
- High School Challenge sponsored by Ball Aerospace
- Traditional age group awards
- What course do I have to run for the 2020 Virtual Boilermaker?
You can run any 15K (9.3 miles) or 5K (3.1 miles) course including a treadmill or a track. If you choose to run the actual Boilermaker course, please be very mindful of required social distancing should you encounter a crowd.
- When will I receive my Boilermaker race incentives?
You will receive your 2020 Virtual Boilermaker race bib prior to September 1st, 2020. The balance of the race incentives should be received shortly after the close of the virtual event on September 13th. You will need to officially submit your race result in RunSignUp in order to receive any of the finishers race incentives (pin, medal, certificate*). *The finishers' certificate will be available for you to download and print at home only.
- What if I don't receive my race incentives?
If you have not received your race incentives by October 10th, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to include your first name, last name and a phone number.
- Will there be awards for the 2020 Virtual Boilermaker?
Yes. There will be the traditional age group awards for the 15K and we will also recognize the top 3 winners from both the 15K & the 5K for both female and male participants. Due to the nature of the virtual race (honor system), there will be no prize money available.
- How do I report my time (result) to the Boilermaker?
You will log in to your RunSignUp account and input your time. If you use the RaceJoy app, this will be an automated process. More information on this will come via your registration communications from the Boilermaker.
- What is the deadline for results to be submitted?
All results must be submitted by 12:00 noon (EST) on Sunday, September 13th, 2020.
- Will the results be verified?
Yes. All results will be reviewed by the timing company and race director who reserve the right to challenge any and all results.
- Will the race results be posted anywhere?
Yes. The race results will be available once approved via boilermaker.com and will also appear in the special "Boilermaker Results Edition" of the Observer-Dispatch.
- Can anyone sign up for the 2020 Virtual Boilermaker?
Yes. Registration is now open and will remain open until 11:59pm (EST) on Wednesday, August 26, 2020 or until each race reaches its cap (14,500 for the 15K and 4,500 for the 5K).