UPD Wins Bob Ingalls Police and Firefighter Competition
(Aug. 17, 2009)
August 17, 2009 (Utica, NY) — The Utica Police Department (UPD) recently won the Bob Ingalls Police and Firefighter Competition which took place during the Boilermaker 15k road race on July 12. This was the first time since the competition's inauguration five years ago that the police force has taken the title.
The event, sponsored by New Balance, was created to inspire a healthy running rivalry between members of the Utica Police force and Utica Fire Department (UFD). Members of both departments train and compete for the title of Public Safety Champion of the city. During the 15k race, competitors don New Balance performance shirts with either UPD or UFD on their backs. The department with the five fastest 15k runners receives a traveling trophy and bragging rights until next year's race.
There were 19 members who ran for UFD while 15 participated for UPD.
"This event is vital to our community," said Tim Reed, executive director of the Boilermaker. "Not only does it honor Bob but also the brave men and women who protect and serve us each and every day. The police department came in with some great, young runners this year and stole the victory. Congratulations to all the participants."
The competition was named after former Race Director Bob Ingalls who passed away last year. Ingalls served with the Oneida County Sheriff's department beginning in 1962 and was eventually promoted to Undersheriff of Oneida County.View Recent Press
- Boilermaker President Steps Down, Search for Successor Under Way
- Boilermaker Urban Initiative Press Opportunities
- Boilermaker Charity Bib Reception Set for Tomorrow
- The Stanley to Host Roast and Toast of Boilermaker President Tim Reed
- Boilermaker Presents Check to United Way
- UFD Wins Boilermaker Police and Firefighter Competition Again
- Registration Information
- MVCC and The Boilermaker celebrate latest renovation of College's Utica campus walking track
- 2016 Sitrin Wheelchair Challenge Winner Receives Racing Wheelchair View More