Volunteers are the heart of the Boilermaker!
The Boilermaker is one of the largest community-based events in Central New York. Established in 1978 as a way to give back to the community by our founding corporate partners, Utica Boilers (ECR International) & F.X. Matt Brewing Company, what started as a small road race has blossomed into "Boilermaker Weekend" replete with a two-day Health & Wellness Expo, a Kids Run, a 4,500 person 5K run, the crown-jewel 15K run with 14,500 runners and the iconic, Saranac Post-Race Party.
Boilermaker Weekend is volunteerism personified as our organization could not pull it all off without the assistance of its army of 4,000+ volunteers and the support of the Fountainhead Group.
As of April 2022, these are the areas in which we need volunteers for the 2022 events:
- 5K presented by Utica National Packet Pick-Up: Distributing bibs to runners on Friday, July 8 and Saturday, July 9 during the MVHS Health & Wellness Expo at MVCC.
- 15K presented by Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Packet Pick-Up: Distributing bibs to runners on Friday, July 8 and Saturday, July 9 during the MVHS Health & Wellness Expo at MVCC.
- Merchandise Store: Assist customers in the Boilermaker Store and operate register for checkout on Friday, July 8, and Saturday, July 9 at the MVHS Health & Wellness Expo on the MVCC, and at the Post-Race Party on Sunday, July 10.
- Drug Testing: Work with elite runners on race day, Sunday, July 10, to notify them that they've been selected for drug testing. Each volunteer is assigned to one elite athlete and stays with them from the time they cross the finish line until testing is complete.
- Start Line: Act as a Course Marshal and promote safety and security for all runners at the Start Line on Sunday, July 10.
- Boilermaker Brick Sales: Sell personalized, commemorative bricks at the MVHS Health & Wellness Expo at MVCC; bricks are engraved and then installed in Boilermaker Park at a later date.
- Labor Committee: Assist with moving materials from Boilermaker HQ to MVCC for the MVHS Health & Wellness Expo from Tuesday, July 5 to Friday, July 8. Some heavy lifting required.
- Community Outreach Programs: Year-round opportunities for adults, groups, and youth to participate in various health and wellness-driven community programs.
For New Volunteers
It's been said that the volunteers are the heart of the Boilermaker. In order to keep that heart beating strongly, we are always looking for new blood to keep it pumping!
If you have never volunteered for the Boilermaker before or have not in the past several years click here. Feel free to indicate which of the above areas are of interest to you or let us know your interests and we will match you accordingly.
For Returning Volunteers
If you have volunteered in the past several years and are interested in doing so again, we do need you to affirm your interest via our registration platform. Please click here, find the specific area you have worked in the past, click the "Volunteer" button, and follow through that process.
You will be prompted to sign in to your existing RunSignUp account or create a new one which is now a required step for everyone.
The Volunteer Coordinator for that area will be in touch with you directly.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our Volunteer Director, Cindy Dardano, at 315-731-3705 or firstname.lastname@example.org.