Statistics Prove More Environmentally Friendly Boilermaker
(Jul. 16, 2009)
July 16, 2009 (Utica, NY) — Steps taken by the Boilermaker committee has resulted in more environmentally responsible Boilermaker events for 2009, statistics show.
Last week, the Boilermaker tallied a 36% recycling rate for all the material that was generated during the various events. This number, a new high, is compared to the 27% during the 2008 activities.
"Environmental sustainability is a very important initiative," said Tim Reed, executive director of the Boilermaker. "By using paperless registration, mass transportation to move runners to and from race events, reusing boxes and banners, composting orange slices, as well as other strategies, we were able to increase our 2009 recycling totals."
Events as big as the ones during Boilermaker week generate a great deal of garbage. With the proper attention, some of that material can be recycled or reused. In 2009, 8.84 tons of solid waste and 4.97 tons of recyclables were collected from the Boilermaker events. All the recyclables collected were sent to the Oneida-Herkimer Solid Waste Authority's recycling center for processing, and then delivered to mills to be made into new materials. The orange slices were collected and delivered to the Authority's Yard Waste Compost Site for proper composting, an all-natural alternative.
"Everyone did a wonderful job with recycling this year, and we are looking for ways to be even more environmentally friendly in 2010 to increase our recycling totals," said David Lupinski, waste disposal coordinator for the Boilermaker and director of recycling for the Authority. "I would like to thank the runners, volunteers, committee members, and community for their efforts and hard work in helping to keep our planet clean."
For more information on waste reduction and recycling, contact Lupinski at the Oneida-Herkimer Solid Waste Authority at (315) 733-1224.View Recent Press
- Boilermaker President Steps Down, Search for Successor Under Way
- Boilermaker Urban Initiative Press Opportunities
- Boilermaker Charity Bib Reception Set for Tomorrow
- The Stanley to Host Roast and Toast of Boilermaker President Tim Reed
- Boilermaker Presents Check to United Way
- UFD Wins Boilermaker Police and Firefighter Competition Again
- Registration Information
- MVCC and The Boilermaker celebrate latest renovation of College's Utica campus walking track
- 2016 Sitrin Wheelchair Challenge Winner Receives Racing Wheelchair View More