Schumer Says 'Bring on the Jets!'
(Jan. 15, 2013)
January 15, 2013 (Utica, N.Y.)- The National Distance Running Hall of Fame was the venue where U.S. Senator Charles Schumer urged the U.S. Air Force to approve a flyover for the 2013 Boilermaker to be held July 14th. Schumer asked that the Air Force incorporate the flyover into mandated training, which must be done using the military jets and therefore adds no additional cost to taxpayers.
From 2002 through 2009 the 174th Attack Wing (National Guard) stationed at Hancock Field in Syracuse performed the traditional flyover at the Boilermaker Post Race Party. In 2009 the group transitioned to an unmanned Predator drone unit.
View Recent Press
"Bringing the F-16 flyover back to The 2013 Boilermaker will bring the roar back to this historic race's finale," said Schumer. "I fought hard to gain FAA approval for the flyover, and now I'm urging the U.S. Air Force to incorporate nearby F-16 pilot training into the flyover tradition that has been a Boilermaker staple for over a decade. Because this Central New York tradition would cost nothing extra to the taxpayer and encompasses military preparedness, I am urging the Air Force to rev their engines and allow The Boilermakers thousands of spectators and racers to enjoy another breathtaking cross of the finish line."
The Boilermaker has had a long history with the military including supporting five 'shadow runs' that have taken place in Iraq and Afghanistan.
In 2012 a pair of jets belonging to the Genesee War Birds, a not for profit based in Batavia New York, performed the flyover.
"The military flyover stands as one of those signature moments the Boilermaker is known for" said Boilermaker President Tim Reed. "I speak for the legion of runners, volunteers and community members who applaud Senator Schumer's efforts."
- Boilermaker President Steps Down, Search for Successor Under Way
- Boilermaker Urban Initiative Press Opportunities
- Boilermaker Charity Bib Reception Set for Tomorrow
- The Stanley to Host Roast and Toast of Boilermaker President Tim Reed
- Boilermaker Presents Check to United Way
- UFD Wins Boilermaker Police and Firefighter Competition Again
- Registration Information
- MVCC and The Boilermaker celebrate latest renovation of College's Utica campus walking track
- 2016 Sitrin Wheelchair Challenge Winner Receives Racing Wheelchair View More