Boilermaker Reveals Security Precautions
(Jul. 2, 2013)
July 1, 2013 (Utica, NY) - The Boilermaker Road Race briefed local media on security enhancements for the 2013 race in light of the Boston Marathon bombings.
Among the changes that participants and the general public will encounter:
Coolers will be strictly forbidden on brewery property where the post Race Party occurs. Backpacks are strongly discouraged anywhere along the course including the Start Lines, Finish Line and Post Race Party area.
Items transported on the baggage truck will need to be in a clear plastic bag. Clear Boilermaker bags that a runner can write their name/ bib number will be available at the Boilermaker Expo taking place July 12th and 13th.
People may encounter baggage checkpoints they are warned to build extra time into getting to their intended destinations.
The two and a half hour time limit to complete the 15k race will be enforced. When the last runner passes the start line the clock will start for finishing the race. Runners who feel they are incapable to complete the race within the prescribed time should apply for a deferral to participate in the 2014 race at boilermaker.com.
If people do not have a bib they are asked not to go to the Start Lines of either the 5k or 15k races.
Because of a significant police canine presence the race asks that dogs are not brought to either the Post Race Party or the Expo.
"The safety of our participants is something we take very seriously" said Tim Reed, president of the Boilermaker Road Race. "We want to strike the balance that insures a safe event while not diminishing the fun aspects of the race."
- Boilermaker President Steps Down, Search for Successor Under Way
- Boilermaker Urban Initiative Press Opportunities
- Boilermaker Charity Bib Reception Set for Tomorrow
- The Stanley to Host Roast and Toast of Boilermaker President Tim Reed
- Boilermaker Presents Check to United Way
- UFD Wins Boilermaker Police and Firefighter Competition Again
- Registration Information
- MVCC and The Boilermaker celebrate latest renovation of College's Utica campus walking track
- 2016 Sitrin Wheelchair Challenge Winner Receives Racing Wheelchair View More