Boilermaker to Offer GPS Tracking for Runners
(Jun. 27, 2018)
The Boilermaker Road Race has contracted with the RaceJoy mobile app to provide runner tracking in 2018. The free app will allow runners to be tracked and spectators to track the progress of up to twenty runners through their mobile devices.
Some cell congestion is expected, especially at the 15K start line; therefore, in order to optimize the app's performance, participants and spectators are encouraged to download and set up RaceJoy in advance of the race by allowing for tracking or choosing the runners they wish to track. In addition, users are encouraged to open the app on their phone prior to arriving at the start line and closely follow all instructions within the app.
Although runners are encouraged to carry their phones to allow for use of the app, race officials want to remind participants that the use of headphones is still prohibited.
"We have always been a headphone-free race," said Boilermaker Marketing Specialist, Jordan Peters. "Not only is there a safety component to this policy but one of the Boilermaker's defining characteristics is a course lined with vocal spectators and live entertainment. We ask that our runners show appreciation for all the entertainers who come out to contribute to the amazing atmosphere by leaving the headphones at home on Boilermaker Sunday."
In addition to the tracking component, RaceJoy will allow spectators to send custom cheers to their runners.
"We are excited to offer RaceJoy to our runners and spectators," said Peters. "It is going to be a great addition to an already amazing race-day experience."
Click to Enlarge.
The 41st running of the Boilermaker Road Race will take place on Sunday, July 8th, 2018.View Recent Press
- Boilermaker President Steps Down, Search for Successor Under Way
- Boilermaker Urban Initiative Press Opportunities
- Boilermaker Charity Bib Reception Set for Tomorrow
- The Stanley to Host Roast and Toast of Boilermaker President Tim Reed
- Boilermaker Presents Check to United Way
- UFD Wins Boilermaker Police and Firefighter Competition Again
- Registration Information
- MVCC and The Boilermaker celebrate latest renovation of College's Utica campus walking track
- 2016 Sitrin Wheelchair Challenge Winner Receives Racing Wheelchair View More