Boilermaker Takes Environmentally Friendly Approach to this Year's Events
(Jul. 2, 2009)
July 2, 2009 (Utica, NY) — The Boilermaker committee has taken steps to become more environmentally responsible this year during each of its many events throughout Boilermaker Week.
"This is a very important initiative," said Tim Reed, executive director of the Boilermaker Road Race. "In addition to using paperless registration, mass transportation to move runners to and from race events, reusing boxes, signs and banners, we have developed a volunteer Boilermaker Green Team to assist with the waste reduction and recycling activities. Also, we will be placing green boilermaker balloons on each recycling container to mark the location for the runners and spectators."
Events as big as the Boilermaker generate a large amount of garbage. With the proper attention, some of that material can be recycled or reused. For instance, 9.12 tons of solid waste and trash was produced from all the events last year but 3.55 tons of material was recycled. All the recyclables collected were sent to the Oneida-Herkimer Solid Waste Authority's recycling center for processing, and then delivered to mills to be made into new materials.
"The runners, walkers, vendors, exhibitors, volunteers, and spectators did a great job with recycling last year, but there is still more that we can do," said David Lupinski, waste disposal coordinator for the Boilermaker and director of recycling for the Authority. "In 2008 we were able to produce a 27% recycling rate for all the material that was generated during the various events and hope to continually improve on this each year."
Lupinski and race officials will continue to strive to be even more environmentally conscious during future Boilermaker events. For more information on waste reduction and recycling contact Lupinski at the Oneida-Herkimer Solid Waste Authority at (315) 733-1224.View Recent Press
- Boilermaker President Steps Down, Search for Successor Under Way
- Boilermaker Urban Initiative Press Opportunities
- Boilermaker Charity Bib Reception Set for Tomorrow
- The Stanley to Host Roast and Toast of Boilermaker President Tim Reed
- Boilermaker Presents Check to United Way
- UFD Wins Boilermaker Police and Firefighter Competition Again
- Registration Information
- MVCC and The Boilermaker celebrate latest renovation of College's Utica campus walking track
- 2016 Sitrin Wheelchair Challenge Winner Receives Racing Wheelchair View More