Boilermaker Blasts Through Utica
(Jul. 9, 2012)
Utica, NY (July 9, 2012) - The thirty-fifth running of the Boilermaker Road Race proved itself memorable on many different fronts. While the overall male winner, Tilahun Regassa of Ethiopia with a time of 43:01 (4:37 pace) was far behind the 42:46 course record his performance was memorable. Regasse totally dominated the 15k course leaving Peter Cheruiyot Kirui of Kenya (winner of Peachtree four days earlier) to settle for second place a full thirty three seconds behind.
On the female side, Mamitu Daska of Ethiopia winner of Peachtree kept with her winning ways finishing in first place with a time of 49:26 (5:19 pace).
In the second year of scoring the 5k as a race rather than a run Jonathan Gauthier of Salt Lake City put in a record performance posting a 16:11 (5:13 pace) cutting thirty seconds off the old record. Jessie Cardin of Sutton Massachusetts ran a solid 19:22 (6:14 pace) on the female side.
After a one year absence, the forty thousand plus runners and community members were treated to the sounds of Nik and the Nice Guys. Recording artist Beth Zaje opened the Post Race Party entertainment.
The traditional flyover was performed by the Genesee War Birds, a vintage fighter aircraft group stationed in Batavia New York.
- Boilermaker President Steps Down, Search for Successor Under Way
- Boilermaker Urban Initiative Press Opportunities
- Boilermaker Charity Bib Reception Set for Tomorrow
- The Stanley to Host Roast and Toast of Boilermaker President Tim Reed
- Boilermaker Presents Check to United Way
- UFD Wins Boilermaker Police and Firefighter Competition Again
- Registration Information
- MVCC and The Boilermaker celebrate latest renovation of College's Utica campus walking track
- 2016 Sitrin Wheelchair Challenge Winner Receives Racing Wheelchair View More