Violet Morris Scholarships Awarded
(Jun. 5, 2013)
June 5, 2013 (Utica, N.Y.)- Four local high school seniors were awarded one thousand dollar scholarships from the Violet Morris Scholarship Fund. The fund was set up by her husband Robert Morris after her death in 2011.
The criteria for the award are for a local student who has participated in track and field/ cross country and plans on attending a local college. In addition, they have experienced a significant challenge in their lives and conquered it.
'These students embody the spirit of Violet' said Mr. Morris. 'I know she would be very proud to know that she continues make a positive difference in people's lives.'
The winners are:
Tyler Pocchiari currently attending Adirondack and plans to attend Mohawk Valley Community College
Mikayla Dihrberg currently attending Ilion and plans to attend Utica College
Elizabeth Reilly and Samantha Rush both currently attending Proctor and plan to attend Mohawk Valley Community College
Each of the students will be receiving a $1,000 scholarship.
The 36th running of the Boilermaker Road Race will take place Sunday, July 14, 2013
- Boilermaker President Steps Down, Search for Successor Under Way
- Boilermaker Urban Initiative Press Opportunities
- Boilermaker Charity Bib Reception Set for Tomorrow
- The Stanley to Host Roast and Toast of Boilermaker President Tim Reed
- Boilermaker Presents Check to United Way
- UFD Wins Boilermaker Police and Firefighter Competition Again
- Registration Information
- MVCC and The Boilermaker celebrate latest renovation of College's Utica campus walking track
- 2016 Sitrin Wheelchair Challenge Winner Receives Racing Wheelchair View More