Boilermaker Backs Bagram Run
(Jun. 5, 2013)
June 5, 2013 (Utica, N.Y.) – Today the Boilermaker sent running supplies to supports a 'shadow run' in Afghanistan. Since 2008 five shadow runs have taken place; three in Iraq and two in Afghanistan. These runs take place the same day the Boilermaker Road Race occurs. This year the race will take place at Bagram Air Base.
Among items to be sent over will be a start/ finish line banner, finisher's pins, running bibs and shirts.
The shirt commemorates the various shadow runs that have taken place. In addition, via View SPORT's patented technology, the words 'sweat to glory' will appear as the runner's shirt gets wet from water or perspiration. When the shirt dries, the message disappears.
The Boilermaker will be selling a limited number of tees similar to the ones sent overseas. For every shirt sold the Boilermaker will donate five dollars to Feed Our Vets.
Companies supporting the effort include Seiffert Graphics who donated the Start/ Finish Line Banner, View SPORT who created the shirt and Mohawk Global Logistics who is shipping the race support material to Afghanistan.
'When Sgt. First Class Fryman of the 10th Combat Aviation contacted us about having the race we jumped on it' said Tim Reed, president of the Boilermaker Road Race. 'To bring a bit of hometown flavor, even if for a little while, to our soldiers is our honor.'
The 36th running of the Boilermaker Road Race will take place Sunday, July 14, 2013
- Boilermaker President Steps Down, Search for Successor Under Way
- Boilermaker Urban Initiative Press Opportunities
- Boilermaker Charity Bib Reception Set for Tomorrow
- The Stanley to Host Roast and Toast of Boilermaker President Tim Reed
- Boilermaker Presents Check to United Way
- UFD Wins Boilermaker Police and Firefighter Competition Again
- Registration Information
- MVCC and The Boilermaker celebrate latest renovation of College's Utica campus walking track
- 2016 Sitrin Wheelchair Challenge Winner Receives Racing Wheelchair View More